If you’re looking for information on Visa Black Card requirements, you’ve come to the right place — but the card switched networks a few years ago and is now issued by Mastercard. Keep reading for more information on this elite card.
Long gone are the days when having a gold card was the sign of elite credit-worthiness. Nowadays, black is the new gold, and most major netowrks have their own version, the most well-known of which may be Amex’s Centurion card, with the Visa Black Card a close rival.
With its strict application requirements and most VIP of perks, the Black Card is one of the most elusive cards on the market. Then, in January 2016, the Visa Black Card was rebranded to the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™ with new and enhanced features. We’ll take a look at these features and what it takes to get the new Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™, as well as show you five elite alternatives without the hefty annual fee.
About the Visa® Black Card
Aside from its visual appeal, the card offers perks like 24/7 concierge service and random luxury gifts delivered to your doorstep — needless to say, it’s not the easiest card to get your hands on.
Rebranded as the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™
Several years ago, the Visa Black Card got a new network, The Luxury Card rebranded it as the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™. It offers a patented stainless steel front and carbon back for “durability and distinction.”
Cardholders earn rewards points on every purchase, at a rate of one point per dollar spent. Redemption values vary based on what you redeem them for, with airfare providing 2% value and cash back providing 1.5% value. You’ll also earn a $100 annual airline credit, have access to the Luxury Card Concierge, and enjoy Luxury Card Travel perks.
Unlike other “Black Cards” on the market, the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™ can be applied for online via the Luxury Card website. But while there’s no published minimums for approval, it’s safe to assume you’ll need at least good credit and a fairly healthy income.
Receive an Initial Credit Limit of $20,000 to $25,000
Because cardholders generally have a much higher income (or at least the ability to pay back their cards), the card’s customers are usually given a very high initial credit limit.
Spending allowances average between $20,000 – $25,000, with increases given over time for responsible account usage.
Like any other card, you can improve the likelihood of getting an increase beyond your initial amount by keeping an on-time payment history, paying a large average monthly payment amount, maintaining your credit bureau information and credit score, and using your card regularly for both everyday and large purchases.
Equipped with a Hefty $495 Annual Fee
Along with the status that comes with this card, however, there’s also a hefty $495 annual fee. It would be expected that the perks of owning this card would be many, and plush. Only personal preference can determine if the fee is worth it, but here are some of the most promising benefits:
- 1.5% value for cash back redemptions
- 2% value for airfare redemptions with no blackout dates or seat restrictions
- worldwide acceptance
- 24-hour concierge service for help with travel, event planning, and shopping
- periodic luxury gifts, some as pens and magazines
- enrollment in the VIP airport lounge program
- travel insurance, warranty extensions, and purchase protections
- earn one point for every one dollar spent
Cardholders will also receive 15 months 0% APR financing on all purchases and balance transfers when the transfer is completed within 45 days of opening the account. Terms and conditions apply.
Barclays doesn’t openly publicize its requirements for obtaining a Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™, but it’s safe to assume based on what we do know about the card that the following requirements are a must.
1. Excellent FICO Score (720+)
Naturally, the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™ requires an excellent credit score, usually 720 or higher on the FICO index. When being trusted with a high spending limit, you have to have exemplified responsible borrowing behavior in the past, which a strong FICO Score will reflect.
2. Big Spending (and Paying) on Your Cards
While the card doesn’t require some of the spending thresholds as other cards (like the AMEX Black Card), you can safely assume that you will need to be an avid user of credit and are very good at paying back thousands in purchases every month to even be considered.
3. High Income Necessary
Of course, to spend big, you have to earn big. To be able to charge and spend as needed to for this prestigious card, a solid job history, adequate proof of income, and a record of making on-time payments is a must. It probably also won’t hurt to be a Barclays’ customer.
5 Elite Credit Cards Without a $495 Annual Fee
As “elite” as the card may seem, the 1.5% cash back is a little underwhelming, while the $495 annual fee is a little overwhelming. If a higher cash-back bonus, lower annual fees, and more widely accepted perks are of interest to you, the following cards may be more appealing.
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases, then a variable APR of 14.99 - 23.74%.
- No annual fee
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
0% 15 Months
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 14.99 - 23.74%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
14.99% - 23.74% Variable
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That's 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
15.99% - 22.99% Variable
- Earn $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase made for your business
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- No Annual Fee
- Chase is not an affiliate partner with CardRates and does not review editorial content on our site
0% Intro APR on Purchases 12 months
N/A 12 months
13.24% - 19.24% Variable
Here are some additional high-limit credit cards an excellent credit rating can get you.
So, is the Black Card Right for You?
The jury is out on whether the Luxury Card™ Mastercard® Black Card™ is one that you should be carrying around in your pocket, assuming you meet its strict application requirements. Only you can decide whether the $495 annual cost of carrying one is worth the benefits, but the right card for you is out there, and it may have an annual fee you can feel better about — year after year!