credit card advice
Businesses are expensive. Depending on the size of your business, you could be looking at a yearly cost of between $600 and $1,800 per employee, on vital supplies, including office supplies, tech equipment, janitorial supplies, and breakroom products. And that’s before you add in any of the other dozens of necessities that add to a business’s overhead.
One of the simplest things you can do to find a little wiggle room in your business budget is to make sure that your business credit card is a rewards card. And few rewards cards are as easy to use as a quality cash back card, especially one that provides a solid 2% cash back (or more) on the purchases your business makes most often.
Best Business Card for Unlimited 2% Cash Back
In the consumer credit world, unlimited 2% cash back cards are almost unheard of — and the same is true in the business card world. The Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business is the only business credit card offered by a major bank that provides unlimited 2% cash back on every purchase. That means no hoops to jump through, categories to keep track of, or bonuses to activate — just 2% cash back every time you swipe.
- Earning unlimited 2% cash back could mean thousands of dollars each year going back into your business
- Plus, a one-time $500 cash bonus once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Use Spark Cash across all your business spend, with no categories to limit your purchasing
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that
- Rewards won't expire for the life of the account, and you can redeem your cash back for any amount
- Get employee cards at no additional cost, and earn rewards from their business spend
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
To get even more value out of your Spark® Cash card, you can earn a hefty signup bonus if you meet the minimum spending requirement within the first 90 days. The card’s annual fee is also waived for the first year.
Best Business Cards for 2% Cash Back on Office Supplies
The cash back cards on this list don’t just give 2% cash back rewards on office supplies. No, they give you 5% cash back on those office supplies — and whatever else you purchase at your favorite office supply store. Plus you’ll earn additional bonus cash back in another popular category, like on gas station or restaurant purchases.
at Chase'ssecure website
- Earn $500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Named "Best Rewards Card for Small Business Owners" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2017
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year
- Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year
- Earn 1% cash back on all other card purchases with no limit to the amount you can earn
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
0% Intro APR on Purchases for 12 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 12 months
14.74% - 20.74% Variable
The Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card from Chase is a good choice for business owners of all types, providing bonus cash back in a variety of popular categories, including office supplies and gas stations. On top of its generous rewards rates, the Ink Business Cash card provides a solid signup bonus with a minimum spending requirement that should be easily attainable for most small businesses. And you get it all with no annual fee.
3. SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card
The SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express gives you some control over your rewards, offering 3% cash back in a category of your choice on top of its 5% cash back on office supplies and wireless expenses.
- Earn 5% cash back on purchases at US office supply stores and with wireless service providers
- Earn 3% cash back on purchases in a category of your choice
- Pay no annual fee, ever
Bonus 3% cash back categories include a variety of common purchase types, including gas stations, restaurants, shipping purchases, and car rentals. Plus, pay no over-limit fees if you need a little extra credit from time to time.
Best Business Cards for 2% Cash Back on Gas
What’s better than 2% cash back on all your gas station purchases? Why, 3% cash back on all your gas station purchases, of course!
Add in cash back bonus rewards on purchases made at restaurants, office supply stores, or on wireless bills, and you have yourself a quality cash back business card. You won’t lose out on your non-category purchases, either; both cards on our list offer unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
4. Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard®
Cardholders of the Business Advantage Cash Rewards Mastercard® from Bank of America receive bonus rewards on purchases at restaurants, gas stations, and office supply stores, as well as unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn 3% cash back at gas stations and office supply stores and 2% at restaurants
- Receive $200 cash back after spending $500 in the first 60 days
- Pay no annual fee, ever
You can start redeeming cash back rewards earned with your Business Advantage Cash Rewards card after earning at least $25 in rewards. You can redeem for a credit card statement credit, or deposit your rewards directly into a Bank of America checking or savings account.
5. U.S. Bank Business Edge™ Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard®
The U.S. Bank Business Edge™ Cash Rewards World Elite™ Mastercard® helps you save on every office supply, cellphone, and gas station purchase, offering 3% cash back in these categories.
- Earn 3% cash back on gas station, office supply, and wireless service purchases
- Earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Pay no annual fee, ever
Not only can you earn rewards as you go, you’ll also receive a cash back bonus equal to 25% of your previous year’s cash back earnings on your Cash Rewards enrollment anniversary date, up to a maximum of $250.
Get Paid for Your Regular Business Expenses
While few things are guaranteed in the business world, there is one thing you can always count on: you’re going to need supplies. Whether it’s pens and paper, cameras and cords, or simply a reliable phone line, it can take a lot to keep your business going.
That’s why a great business rewards credit card can be such a handy addition to your business family. With bonus cash back on what you really need, including office supplies, communication expenses, and gas purchases, you can add a little wiggle room to your bottom line without needing to sacrifice somewhere else.
Of course, as with consumer credit cards, always make sure you aren’t charging more than you can afford to repay in a timely manner. Your cash back rewards can quickly be overwhelmed by interest fees if you carry a large balance on your card from month to month.
Additionally, your business credit card is an important tool for building business credit, so always use it responsibly. This means maintaining low balances, making at least your minimum required payment each month, and always making your payments before the due date.