Store Credit Card
A popular plus-size apparel company, Torrid started as a subset of Hot Topic, a retailer specializing in "counterculture" apparel and accessories. While Torrid originally mimicked Hot Topic's alternative styles, it later branched out from the edgier retailer, becoming its own LLC in 2015. The new Torrid offers a wide range of more mainstream clothing styles for women and girls in sizes 10 to 30, with over 400 stores across the US.
Like many popular retailers, Torrid offers a closed-loop consumer credit card for those who want to save a little on their branded purchases. Unlike most other store credit cards, however, the Torrid Insider Credit Card is a little light on the rewards, good only for the occasional coupon or special offer. And while the card doesn't have an annual fee, the high APR makes it a questionable addition to your wallet.
Better Cards to Use at Torrid
Considering the lackluster perks associated with the Torrid Insider Credit Card, it's not hard to think of better credit cards to use for saving on your apparel purchases. Whether you want to earn cash back or travel miles, even the most basic rewards credit card can provide a higher rate of return than the 0% offered by the Torrid card.
And that's not even starting in on the super high APR. If you ever carry a balance on your credit card, you're better off avoiding the Torrid Insider Credit Card, particularly when there are so many awesome 0% APR intro-offer options available.
In today's credit card market, cash back credit card rewards have become commonplace, with nearly every card issuer having at least one quality cash back card in its arsenal. In other words? With very little effort, you can find a better rewards card than the Torrid Insider Credit Card. Moreover, you can even find cards for bad credit that offer better rewards and more usability than the closed-loop Torrid card.
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
Letting credit card interest accrue on your purchases is an easy way to turn a great deal into an expensive mistake — particularly when they're high-interest fees like the 26.24% APR charged by the Torrid Insider Credit Card. No cute top is worth paying 26.24% interest. Instead, if you know you'll need to carry a balance for a few months (or up to 18 months), you should turn to a card with a good introductory 0% APR offer that can give you interest-free financing for more than a year.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
As with cash back cards, even the most basic travel rewards credit card will offer you better purchase rewards than the Torrid Insider Credit Card — and these rewards can get you free flights and hotel stays. After all, what good is a new wardrobe if you have nowhere awesome to wear it?
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
15.24% - 25.24% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Other than its sporadic discounts, the Torrid Insider Credit Card doesn't have much to offer, making it easy to find better alternatives on basically every front. From purchase rewards to interest rates, most regular consumer credit cards will be a better option and provide more utility.
What Others Say About the Torrid Credit Card
Despite the so-so rewards, many reviewers are happy with their Torrid Insider Credit Card, particularly with the annual discounts. On the other hand, a number of reviewers report trouble accessing online accounts, making payments, and with unused cards being canceled without any advance warning.
The benefits are mediocre at best. Torrid emails and mails coupons every once in a while. Considering how expensive this store is, I think the rewards/discounts suck. This card is also connected to Insider. This is not a major credit card, it can only be used at Torrid stores and on their website. It is issued by Comenity. The Torrid card application listed a 26.24% APR and this is definitely high, especially for those people who procrastinate on making payments… Or can't resist spending money that they don't have. This card is a poor choice if you ever carry a balance. The Insider rewards gives a $10 rewards certificate per 200 points earned and that’s a 5% rebate. Aside from that, there are also specials and promotions and whatever the first purchase discount may be (which was 15% off the first purchase as I’m writing this). — WalletHub.com”
I got approved for a Torrid insider credit card when my credit was in the 500's! I pay my bill on time, every time. I started with a $250 credit limit, and they just increased my limit to $690! I have had zero problems with this card. I have only had to call customer service two times, but it was only for reordering a new card that I lost. They were nothing but professional to me, and they handled my problem promptly! I am obsessed with Torrid! I recently added my husband as an authorized user, to help his credit. His credit, and mine, have gone up since having this card. I am forever grateful for Torrid Insider Credit Card. Thanks for the ability to buy awesome clothes! — CreditKarma.com”
The Torrid card comes with some potentially valuable discounts and access to exclusive offers. However, you don’t have to be a cardholder to join the store’s rewards program. You could, then, double dip by earning points through Torrid’s loyalty program while simultaneously earning cash back with a different and more flexible credit card. Due to the limited nature of the Torrid card, that will probably be the best option for most people. Avid Torrid shoppers who make at least a couple of big purchases a year, though, may still want to consider the store’s credit card. It comes with two 30 percent off passes a year, which could be quite valuable if you spend a lot. If you don’t, it’s probably not worth getting the card. The other benefits of the card include a couple of small welcome offers and occasional access to exclusive sales. There is no annual fee. — RewardExpert.com”
Is the Torrid Card Right for You?
For all intents and purposes, the Torrid Insider Credit Card is little more than a discount card — and a poor one, at that. Unless you limit your apparel shopping to two major hauls each year, you likely won't take full advantage of the two 30% discount days, and that's the only real benefit the card offers once you've used up the signup bonus and one-time discount.
Bottom line, unless you can really make the most of the discounts the card offers, go with a better, open-loop rewards card. If you're a regular Torrid shopper, the Torrid Insider program is a good deal, but the Torrid Insider Credit Card will only cost you a hard inquiry on your credit report and add clutter to your wallet.