Store Credit Card
Founded in 1969, The Children's Place is one of the leading children's specialty apparel companies in the US. The popular mall retailer operates more than 1,000 stores in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The Children's Place offers clothing and accessories for children, with size groupings for babies (sizes 7 lbs to 12 months), toddlers (sizes 12 months up to 5T), and big kids (sizes 4 to 16).
For regular shoppers who want to save on outfitting their young ones, The Children's Place offers the My Place Rewards Credit Card that allows cardholders to earn points on every The Children's Place purchase. But while the card's rewards can be valuable for those who can make the most of them, the card can only be used to purchase The Children's Place merchandise and the APR is significantly higher than that of your average rewards card.
Better Cards to Use at The Children's Place
With a 10% rewards rate, the My Place Rewards Credit Card certainly offers a good value for frequent shoppers — but that's about it. Unless you're shopping at The Children's Place, the card is basically useless — and so are its rewards. Rather than limit yourself to a card with only one purpose, try a flexible rewards card or one with a 0% APR offer that can give you more universal value.
No matter how often you find yourself picking up a new pair of pants for your little one, chances are good you spend significantly more money each month on everyday necessities like groceries and transportation. So why use a card that only rewards you for The Children's Place purchases? An everyday cash back card can help you earn rewards on every purchase — and can let you redeem those rewards on just about anything.
at Chase'ssecure website
- New Offer! Double Cash Back: Earn 3% cash back on all purchases in your first year up to $20,000 spent. After that earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
17.24% - 25.99% Variable
With an APR closer to 30% than 25%, the My Place Rewards Credit Card is about the last place you want to carry a balance. In other words, that big back-to-school clothing haul may earn you some decent rewards with your My Place Rewards Credit Card, but if you can't pay it off right away, the interest fees can soon start to overwhelm the rewards.
A better alternative for anyone who needs a little more time to pay off a large purchase is a credit card with a low APR — and nothing is lower than 0%. With decent credit, you can often find intro-APR offers that provide 0% interest on new purchases for 12 months or more, giving you plenty of time to pay off your purchases.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months on qualifying balance transfers
After a year of carpools, laundry, dishes, and runny noses, the family vacation (or a parents-only getaway) can be the light at the end of the tunnel. So wouldn't it be nice if all those little everyday purchases could bring that vacation a little closer? With a solid travel rewards card, every purchase can earn points or miles that can be redeemed for free hotel stays and airline tickets, helping get you out of the daily grind — and into the time of your life.
at Discover Card'ssecure website
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That’s $700 towards travel!
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
0% for 14 months
10.99% for 14 months
14.24% - 25.24% Variable
If your family of five goes through clothes like they're made of paper, you may just get the full value out of the My Place Rewards Credit Card. For everyone else, the limited use of the card — both from the high APR and closed-loop restrictions — means an all-purpose rewards card will often be the better value in the end.
What Others Say About the The Children's Place Credit Card
While some consumers are happy with the My Place Rewards Credit Card's rewards and discounts, most reviewers report having billing issues and poor customer service experiences. Several cardholders reported being unhappy about the lack of automatic payments functionality for making card payments.
Was pressured into signing up for the card in store to receive the discount. Paid my balance in full on the due date. It was after their 8 p.m. cutoff time, so I called the next day and was told not to worry, they would remove any late fee that would appear. I looked just to check on it the following month, but they had not removed the late fee. I was told once again that as a new cardholder they would remove the late fee and even the interest charge on the fee. I was assured my balance was at $0. Again I logged in to check to be sure and was charged yet another late fee. When I called again I was told they had no record of my initial conversation and that they couldn’t remove the late fees. After talking to a supervisor the best she could do was offer a $15 credit if I paid the balance on the phone with her. I did that. So, in the end, I feel that I was lied to twice and then ripped off. There were no apologies for my repeated hassle in dealing with their incompetent customer service representatives. I cut the card up, and I will never step foot in that store again. I will be checking again to make sure that my account is finally at zero next month after having made one purchase and paying it in full plus paying for repeated late fees after the fact. Completely ridiculous. — CreditKarma.com”
I used to love shopping at The Children's Place and now I really hate it. I applied for a Children's Place credit card and was really excited that I received it until I made a purchase and it was declined right away. I called the Customer Service and they couldn't ever tell me why my purchase was declined, and on top of that, the exclusive offer I received wasn't any good. So I tried to make another purchase and it was declined again because of insufficient funds. I called the Customer Service again and they said I would have to wait five days for the money to be back on the card. I ask why when they declined the purchase right away. They still couldn't give me an explanation. This is so unacceptable. — ConsumerAffairs.com”
I love this store. I get great deals. I use their credit card to make purchases because I get double points. My points accumulate faster so I can get $5-$10 rewards to use on my next purchase and I also like when they give Children’s place cash. I recommend this store to all parents up to age 13-14. — Influenster.com”
Is the The Children's Place Card Right for You?
As one of the top children's apparel retailers in the US, The Children's Place definitely has its fair share of fans. And for the most fervent of them, the My Place Rewards Credit Card can provide a good deal of value. But unless you're spending enough money in the store to make the most of the rewards — and are willing to deal with possibly questionable customer service — the card's high APR and closed-loop limits will likely make it an ill fit.