Store Credit Card
From its humble beginnings as a local cable channel in Pinellas County, Florida, the Home Shopping Network (HSN) has been a popular fixture on national television since 1985. Now available on two television channels, a website, and a host of streaming services, HSN operates a multibillion-dollar retail portfolio under the ownership of its one-time competitor, QVC.
With deals and special prices on everything from fashion and shoes to home and kitchen products, it's little wonder HSN is a favorite retailer for millions of shoppers. And many of those shoppers make their purchases with an HSN Card to take advantage of the special financing deals it offers. Unfortunately, the card's lack of rewards and super high APR mean it may not be the best way to shop HSN.
Better Cards to Use at HSN
Between the terrible APR, the lack of rewards, and the severe limitations on the special financing and payment plan perks, the HSN Card is hardly among the contenders for best credit card, even if you consider just the best credit cards for shopping with HSN.
For the vast majority of users, an open-loop rewards card — or even one without rewards but a better APR — will provide significantly more value and utility than the HSN Card.
Which rewards credit cards offer better rewards than the HSN Card? All of them. Given that the HSN Card doesn't offer any purchase rewards, even the most basic card with a measly 1% cash back on every purchase will provide you with a better return. And for well-qualified consumers, 1% cash back is just the starting line when it comes to cash back rewards.
at Chase'ssecure website
- New Offer! Double Cash Back: Earn 3% cash back on all purchases in your first year up to $20,000 spent. After that earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases.
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- No annual fee
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
17.24% - 25.99% Variable
With an APR pushing close to 30%, the HSN Card is about the last card you'd want to carry a balance on, especially if the purchases that make up that balance don't qualify for the card's limited special financing. A good credit card with an intro-APR offer, on the other hand, can provide 0% APR on all purchases for a year or more — and it won't charge you expensive deferred interest if you need more time.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months on qualifying balance transfers
While HSN can be a good place to shop for travel essentials, like luggage, the HSN Card won't help you actually travel. A great travel rewards credit card, on the other hand, can not only be used to make your HSN travel purchases, but can also help you earn points and miles redeemable for free flights and hotel stays.
at Discover Card'ssecure website
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the Miles you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That’s $700 towards travel!
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates - fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
0% for 14 months
10.99% for 14 months
14.24% - 25.24% Variable
Although few store cards hold up when compared to non-store cards, they at least tend to be one of the better options for shopping with their own brands. Unfortunately, that's not really the case with the HSN Card, at least not for most consumers. Better rewards and financing deals can be found from a variety of issuers, making the HSN Card low on the list, even for HSN purchases.
What Others Say About the HSN Credit Card
There definitely seems to be more unhappy HSN Card reviewers than those pleased with their experience. Reviewers report being dissatisfied with both the card's customer service and the service offered by HSN.
I have the HSN card, but wasn't aware that when I am talking to HSN they are not the credit card company. The customer service is absolutely awful. If you feel like you need your blood pressure raised, just give them a call. I have EXCELLENT credit and have no need for this card, but used it last year as a convenience to buy a television. Billing information was inaccurate on the bill and when I called to discuss it with HSN I was told I didn't owe anything. A month later and I get a bill with late fees because they said I still owe the credit card company. Who knew that HSN had received their payment from the credit card company, but I still owed them. I have NEVER encountered such a situation and the people at HSN and the bank transferred me back and forth for 45 minutes. I finally looked at my payments on my bank account.....something I didn't think was necessary since my credit card statement said I had made payment 5 of 5.......what a mess. NEVER AGAIN. I will close this account and use my usual bank card from now on. Good luck if you have any problems with this account. — CreditKarma.com”
RIP OFF!!! Overcharge you no matter if you pay early or on time!! Paid mine off and they still sent me a bill ...saying it was for flex pay. I received a paid off letter from HSN... $0 balance. How do I still owe a flex pay??...on what if I have a 0 balance??? RIP OFF!! DO NOT GET THIS CARD!!! — WalletHub.com”
I just signed up for an HSN credit card, which was approved immediately, and then placed my order. When I entered all payment info, it came back bad address. Did a chat online with two people, who were worthless, and then called to find out that a person who lived at my address — which I have lived at for 5 years — has a bad account on file, and my order cannot go through until further investigation! THIS IS ABSURD. I have to wait 7 - 10 days for a resolution and there goes that special deal I wanted. — ConsumerAffairs.com”
Is the HSN Card Right for You?
HSN is a hugely popular retailer, maintaining a robust television following even amid the digital eCommerce revolution. But, unlike the company itself, the HSN Card seems to be a bit behind the times, offering few of the perks common to even store credit cards these days, let alone the dozens of great open-loop rewards cards carrying the bulk of the market share.
When all is said and done, if you regularly use Flex pay and want the option for extra payments, the HSN Card might be useful. For everyone else, nearly any rewards credit card will likely be a better, more lucrative choice.