Store Credit Card
The first Zales Jewelers was founded by Morris Zale, William Zale, and Ben Lipshy in 1924. The trio built Zales into a viable chain with its remarkable credit plan that allowed customers to put a penny down and make weekly payments of $1. The company changed hands in 2014, when Signet Jewelers (owners of Kay Jewelers and Jared) purchased the Zale Corporation. Although Zales currently operates over 700 stores in the US, they began shuttering doors in early 2017.
Given the success of its initial credit plan, it makes sense that Zales has continued the financing tradition through its Zales Credit Card. But while the card's special financing can be handy to those who make the most of it, the deferred interest model and sky-high APR that come with the card can easily ruin any potential savings.
Better Cards to Use at Zales
No matter what you're looking for in a credit card, the odds are fairly good you can find a better option than the Zales Credit Card, even for your Zales purchases. Even a basic rewards card will likely provide better savings, and a wide range of credit cards are available with 0% APR offers that can compete with the special financing offered by the card — without that dangerous deferred financing.
While few, if any, credit cards offer bonus rewards specifically on jewelry purchases, you can easily earn up to 2% cash back on your Zales purchases with a good unlimited cash back card. Even better, you can use the card to earn rewards anywhere, rather than being limited to a single merchant as you would be with the Zales Credit Card.
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
If you have decent credit and want to finance a Zales purchase for 12 months or more, your best option is likely to obtain a credit card with an introductory 0% APR offer. Not only will you receive more than a year of 0% interest, but you can often do so with no annual fee. Plus, if you can't pay off your full balance before the end of the promotional period, no problem; you'll only be charged interest on the remaining balance, rather than the full purchase price.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.49%-26.99% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
What good is fine jewelry if you've no place to wear it? With a great travel rewards credit card, you can turn that big-budget broach or ritzy ring purchase into points or miles that can be used for free flights or hotel stays.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
14.74% - 24.74% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
The Zales Credit Card doesn't actually offer its users very much in the way of perks and benefits, which makes it a simple task to find better cards in today's glutted market. Whether you want rewards, 0% interest, or a way to hasten your next vacation, you can likely find an open-loop credit card that provides way more value than the Zales Credit Card.
What Others Say About the Zales Credit Card
The most common complaint about the Zales Credit Card is that its customer service is severely lacking. A goodly number of reviewers also found fault with how the credit card's promotional financing was explained to them in-store, particularly that the card's deferred interest policy was not disclosed by the sales associate at sign-up.
This card is very INCONVENIENT. The website doesn't allow you to set up MONTHLY autopay. You must manually log in once a month by your due date to schedule a payment. Only one payment is allowed every 30 days!! So users beware if you're taking advantage of 6 months no interest same as cash! My best advice: use your personal online banking account and schedule monthly auto payments a week before they're due!! I have several credit cards and ALL of them allow you to set up AUTOPAY!! It's ridiculous and a SCAM really so that you get hit with all that interest at 29%+ when you don't pay off and/or monthly late fees because their WEBSITE/CUSTOMER SERVICE stinks. I called to complain and the Comenity associate assured me that AUTOPAY was an option. TOTAL LIE! I scoured all the payment options. ONE TIME PAYMENT, MAIL, or PAY BY PHONE is all that is allowed. — CreditKarma.com”
The Zales Credit Card has meager benefits and no purchase rewards. The 0% financing deals can be helpful for those who need a little longer to pay off a purchase, but they operate on deferred financing, which can be a real shock to those who don't understand how it works. Essentially, if you don't pay off your full balance before your financing expires, you'll be charged interest on the whole amount. — WalletHub.com”
I got a diamond cross pendant from Zales on a credit account. Made my payments on time but somehow they were showing that they weren't paid. Called them to fix the issue. Had all my receipts. Took them four months to fix the issue after I made my payments on time. Zales's credit system sucks. — ConsumerAffairs.com”
Is the Zales Card Right for You?
Although the Zales Credit Card's special financing deals can be very useful for cardholders who can repay their full purchase before the terms expire, that's really it's only value to most users.
The fringe benefits are limited in use, and it's unlikely that many will find the birthday coupon, repair discount, or free shipping to be worth the hassle of a new card, particularly one with questionable customer service. All in all, unless your credit score is too low to qualify for a better financing deal, the Zales Credit Card is simply a poor choice for most shoppers.