Store Credit Card
Established more than 150 years ago in New York, New York, Macy's is a staple of the department store world (and the Thanksgiving Day Parade). Macy's has over 700 stores across the country, with its Herald Square location being both the largest store in the chain — and one of the largest stores in the world.
Offering a variety of perks and benefits perfect for the devout Macy's shopper, the Macy's Credit Card can be used to earn rewards on purchases made in-store, at Macys.com, or through Macy's Backstage. The Macy's card is not ideal for those who frequently pay late or carry a balance, and its limited use might make it unappealing to casual shoppers.
Better Cards to Use at Macy's
With a fairly high interest rate and severe limitations on where it can be used, the Macy's Credit Card is really only a great deal for those who frequently shop (and spend) at Macy's. Instead, try one of our favorite rewards credit cards, which offer more flexible rewards and can be used to shop practically anywhere.
Using cash back cards is an easy way to save on every purchase. The cards reward you with a percentage of your purchases as cash back, usually redeemable as a statement credit, gift card, or check. For extra value, try a cash back card signup bonus offer, which awards a lump-sum cash back amount for meeting a set spending requirement.
at Chase'ssecure website
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.74-25.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases for 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 15 months
16.74% - 25.49% Variable
If the high interest rate charged by the Macy's Credit Card makes you wary, try a credit card offering an introductory 0% APR on new purchases. These card offers provide a year or more of interest-free balances, making it more affordable to pay off your credit card balance over time. Select a card without an annual fee to stack the savings.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a 16.90%-26.74% variable APR; balance transfer fees apply
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Card
- Free access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
While ideal for frequent travelers, credit cards offering travel rewards are a great fit for casual travelers, too. Cardholders can earn points or miles on every purchase and redeem them for a host of travel expenses, including airline tickets and hotel rooms.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime
- Travel when you want with no blackout dates
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
14.74% - 24.74% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Your credit card can say a lot about you — or, at least, about your spending habits. If you're unlikely to spend enough on your Macy's Credit Card to earn Elite status or higher, it's probably wiser to go with a rewards card that better fits your financial lifestyle.
What Others Say About the Macy's Credit Card
The decision to apply for new credit isn't one to take lightly; each application means a hard credit pull, which can impact your credit score. So, before jumping into a new card, see what others are saying about the Macy's Credit Card.
I have had this card for several years, maybe 7 or 8. Based on my excellent credit, I must admit that I was a little disappointed in the relatively low credit limit assigned -- $400. It also took quite a bit to get an increased limit. Due to the higher than normal rates, I do not use the card often -- usually only during sales/promotions -- and always pay it off right away. — WalletHub.com”
I have had a Macy's CC for over 30 years but will be cancelling shortly. On numerous occasions after paying the card in full well before the due date I have been hit with a $2.00 fee. When I call customer service I am informed that that is minimum interest for the month. I have tried to tell customer service that this contradicts the information on the back of the statement I am told that I am not correct but they will take the 2.00 fee off bill. I did find the minimum interest statement on line but it does not appear anywhere on the billing statement. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CARD! — CreditKarma.com”
There are some nice perks for dedicated Macy's customers to get out of this card. Make sure you don't carry a balance because this card comes with an extremely high APR and hefty fees. — ValuePenguin.com”
Is the Macy's Card Right for You?
If the weekly Macy's ad gets you in a tizzy with shopping excitement, then the Macy's Credit Card may be for you. The perks of being an Elite or Premier Elite member can make the card a valuable addition for those who spend enough to qualify. Overall, however, the lack of flexibility in how you spend (and earn rewards) makes this card of limited use to the average shopper.