Store Credit Card
Supermarket chain Meijer was founded in the midst of the Great Depression when a man named Hendrik Meijer purchased $338.76 of merchandise on credit to help clients at his barbershop. Still focused on providing a one-stop shopping experience, the company has since expanded beyond grocery products to carry pharmacy, electronics, home goods, and even apparel.
Today, consumers across the Midwest look to Meijer supercenters for value and convenience when shopping for daily essentials. The Meijer Credit Card offers patrons special rewards and discounts on purchases made at store locations and at Meijer Gas Stations. But, unless you’re a big spender at Meijer, the rewards can be underwhelming, and they don't justify the high APR.
Better Cards to Use at Meijer
While Meijer prides itself on being a pioneer of the supercenter store concept, there are still some things you won't find on its shelves. So, when it comes to a credit card, there's no reason why you shouldn't have access to buying anything you want — and earning rewards along the way. The Meijer Credit Card simply doesn't offer that flexibility.
Plus, the puny $10 store credit for every $750 means the store may have you spending more than you want, or pumping more gas than you need, just so you can see a return on your purchases. Compared to other credit card options out there, the Meijer Credit Card doesn't have much to offer — other than a high APR, that is.
If you want to earn savings when shopping for your daily essentials, foodstuffs, or occasional splurges, your best bet is to seek an open-loop credit card that rewards you on purchases made at Meijer and anywhere else you shop. With a wide range of credit cards for your choosing that offer richer rewards and kinder interest rates, you can find a card that serves your unique lifestyle and financial goals.
When it comes to credit card rewards programs, cash back is one of the most popular for a reason: simplicity. Cash back rewards are easy to earn — and even easier to redeem, typically available as a statement credit. This makes cash back rewards effectively a rebate on everything you buy, including Meijer's purchases.
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
Interest rates can make or break any offer — and the same goes for the Meijer Credit Card. Regardless of the tempting rewards you may have access to, if your card has a high APR, your interest rates mean you'll likely be spending far more than you'll be saving.
But with many 0% intro-APR credit cards to potentially apply for, you can completely dodge interest charges for 12 months or more and enjoy things like cash back and open-loop versatility.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
Instead of putting aside extra money for an upcoming trip, why not use your credit card to help fund your vacation? Travel rewards credit cards can help you earn points or miles good for free airfare, hotel stays, and more, putting you a little closer to your dream vacation with every purchase — including the ones at Meijer.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
15.24% - 25.24% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Though regular customers can benefit by using the Meijer Credit Card when shopping Meijer stores and gas stations, the rewards and discounts are limited. Unless you load your shopping cart full of groceries and supplies, you'll be hard-pressed to see the light at the end of the savings tunnel.
Additionally, the Meijer Credit Card's high APR means you'll have to pay off the balance each month unless you want to be loaded with interest charges. Consider another credit card that can help you save on whatever you spend, wherever you shop.
What Others Say About the Meijer Credit Card
Discounted fuel prices at Meijer Gas Stations along with rewards on in-store purchases were the highest points of praise reviewers had. However, as generous as these features seem, other cardholders were unimpressed by the steep APR and changes made to card incentives that have occurred over time.
I have been going to Meijer for years and the day I finally agreed to open up a store card was probably one of the best decisions. The card was very quick to come in the mail as well. The good thing about this card also is you get money toward that goes towards gas, which is awesome because there is a gas station nearby every Meijer store. — WalletHub.com”
The card’s a no-brainer if you already frequent a Meijer grocery store or are willing to switch for the rewards. However, even those who live near one of Meijer’s limited locations should be wary of the card’s high APR and restricted redemption options. — CreditCards.com”
We were recently notified that Meijer was reducing the incentive reward for the Meijer Credit Card. The previous reward was a one-time coupon on grocery purchases for every $2,000 charged on the credit card. This was an incentive for many customers including me to shop there. It is reduced and now we won't shop there as much because without this coupon, we can save as much or more at other stores. — ConsumerAffairs.com”
Is the Meijer Card Right for You?
For residents of the American Midwest, Meijer is a familiar name. Thousands of customers rely on the chain every day for everything from groceries to toys to home improvement supplies.
Since it claims to be nation's first supercenter, it's easy to assume that the Meijer Credit Card would strive to serve super savings — but the meager rewards earnings on merchandise purchases and fuel are simply adequate for even the most zealous Meijer customers. In fact, nearly any unlimited cash back card without bonus categories could provide a better return on in-store Meijer purchases.
Worse yet, the high spending threshold for earning rewards — $750 is a lot to spend, even with the variety of products available at Meijer — may be hard to reach for shoppers on a budget, meaning it could take months of purchasing to see any rewards at all.