Store Credit Card
Founded in 1902, JCPenney is a premium department store with over a century of experience providing consumers with quality clothing, accessories, furniture, and appliances. JCPenney stores are most commonly found anchoring suburban shopping malls, and the retailer currently has over 1,050 locations in 49 states and Puerto Rico.
For those who spend a lot of time (and money) in their local store, the JCPenney Credit Card can be a valuable tool for finding savings. However, those who are prone to making late payments may find their limits cut and/or accounts closed.
Better Cards to Use at JCPenney
Although JCPenney Rewards can be a good value for frequent shoppers, the fact that it can only be used for JCPenney purchases definitely limits its utility. For more flexibility, try one of our top-rated rewards cards that can be used nearly anywhere you care to shop.
Credit cards offering cash back rewards are often the most straightforward, offering a percentage of your purchase back as a statement credit to pay down your balance, or as a gift card or check. Choose the cash back card that best fits your spending style to maximize your rewards.
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
Using cards with an introductory 0% APR is the best way to avoid paying interest on your purchases (short of paying off your entire balance). Introductory 0% APR offers allow you to enjoy a year or more interest-free. Even better, you'll still earn rewards on your eligible purchases.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
Travel rewards credit cards are a great way to take the bite out of your vacation bill, allowing you to earn points or miles on qualifying card purchases. Rewards can typically be redeemed for a range of travel-related purchases, including airfare and hotel stays.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
15.24% - 25.24% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
If you shop in JCPenney enough to earn elite status, the JCPenney Credit Card can be a great choice. For everyone else, we suggest selecting a more all-purpose card that can be used to make purchases — and earn rewards — in a greater variety of locations.
What Others Say About the JCPenney Credit Card
As with any financial product, you should always do your due diligence when looking to obtain a new credit card — and that includes the JCPenney Credit Card. Here is what some cardholders are saying about their JCPenney Credit Card.
Like many of these cards that are store based, they don't really offer anything good unless you job at that store enough to justify getting this card. The point system is alright if you spend enough at JCPenney, otherwise, get another card for general use. The points expire at the end of the month, which is average and makes it so that the card is really only that useful if the shopper spends a lot of money here. I personally wouldn't recommend this card unless you're a frequent shopper at JCPenney. — WalletHub.com”
JCPenney granted me a $1900 credit line, and I am thrilled they are taking a chance on me. My credit score is 537, had a car repossession last year and a few charged off credit cards. JCPenney is giving me a 2nd chance to build my credit by granting this line. My income is double than it was a year ago and I am ready to prove I can honor my obligations. — CreditKarma.com”
With paltry rewards and a high APR, the JCPenney card is a poor choice for most cardholders, save for dedicated fans of the store who may appreciate the card’s special savings opportunities. — CreditCards.com”
Is the JCPenney Card Right for You?
All in all, the JCPenney Credit Card is best for those who regularly shop at JCPenney, particularly those who spend $500 or more a year and can take advantage of the additional perks of the Gold and Platinum programs. While the card's high interest rate and low tolerance for late payments means cardholders should always pay their full balance on time each month to avoid fees or reduced credit limits.