Store Credit Card
Though currently sporting over 1,800 locations across the country, Lowe's began in 1921 as a humble hardware store in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina, that also sold sewing notions, dry goods, and horse supplies in addition to the hardware staples. After changing hands a few times — and narrowing its focus to hardware and building supplies — Lowe's began to expand across North Carolina, and, eventually, into all 50 states.
Whether you need concrete or compost, dustpans or drop cloths, you can likely find it at your local Lowe's. And with the Lowe's Advantage Credit Card, you can choose to save 5% on them, too. Perfect for those Lowe's customers who practically have their own red vest, the Lowe's Advantage card also provides the opportunity to select special financing offers on large purchases, making the cost of that new sander a little less abrasive.
Better Cards to Use at Lowe’s
If your hammer is used to open bottles more than it is to actually hammer nails, your Lowe's card will likely be a better coaster than it is a credit card. You'll probably get significantly more value from an all-purpose rewards card that lets you earn cash back, points, or miles on every purchase, rather than limiting yourself to Lowe's. The company may have over 1,800 locations, but it still doesn't sell everything.
Cash back credit cards are an awesome way to save on whatever you buy, often offering up to 5% cash back rewards on popular categories — including home improvement stores. You can choose between cards that provide unlimited flat-rate rewards or opt for bonus rewards in yearlong or rotating categories. The best part? Your cash back rewards stack with any coupons you choose to use, including those from Lowe's!
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.99-25.74%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
16.99% - 25.74% Variable
If interest makes you sad, then a credit card with an introductory 0% APR offer is the way to turn that frown upside down. With a good 0% APR card, you can enjoy 12 months or more of interest-free balances — which makes Lowe's measly six months look lame. Plus, you won't be expected to spend hundreds to enjoy your financing deal.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 13.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
If you're considering a Lowe's Advantage card to finance home improvement expenses, chances are good you'll be ready for a little away time by the time construction is over. Use an awesome travel rewards credit card to turn every paint purchase and bathroom buy into points or miles that can get you away from the build site — and onto the beach.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
15.24% - 25.24% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Although the perks offered by the Lowe's Advantage Credit Card can be valuable to those working on big projects — or those on a first-name basis with their local Lowe's cashiers — that's about the extent of the card's ideal audience. Most casual shoppers won't get enough value from the card to make it worth the hard credit pull. Pick a cash back or travel rewards card to make the most of your purchase, or enjoy financing for those big purchases with a great intro 0% APR card.
What Others Say About the Lowe’s Credit Card
Although many reviewers really dig the automatic 5% discount the Lowe's Advantage Card offers, the inability to stack discounts with special financing really sands them against the grain. Other cardholders are unhappy about the issuing bank's tendency to drop credit limits with no warning.
For homeowners and do-it-yourselfers who make periodic runs to home improvement stores for any number of purchases, the Lowe’s Consumer credit card is an easy choice. Though the card is only usable at Lowe’s, the 5 percent discount, myriad of special financing offers and lack of annual fee is hard to beat, especially if you have several upcoming renovation projects in mind. And unlike standard cash back cards, there’s no wait to collect rewards – the discount is immediately applied at the register or online checkout. Like most retail cards, however, the excessive APR and lack of fringe benefits mean occasional customers need not apply. — CreditCards.com”
I used this card for 5 and half years, for them to just close my account. I have NEVER missed a payment with them. After calling customer service and speaking with a manager, they had no interest in reactivating my card because my credit score has dropped due to a hardship. The only thing they take into consideration is your credit score, it does not matter how long you have been a loyal customer. I used this card for special interest rates, and as a safety net for if anything went wrong with the house. After 5 years, I had managed to build a credit limit of $8,500. Once I fell into a hardship, my credit took a hit, and they decreased my credit limit to the balance I had left on the card at the beginning of this year, around $700. Rebuilding your credit takes time after a hardship, and apparently, I couldn't repair it fast enough for them. This was one of my highest credit limits, with the lowest balances, and the longest age of credit. All of which will now impact my credit even more. I will never use their services again. Their competitors have not closed or even lowered my credit limit. — CreditKarma.com”
I like the card for certain things. For instance, I do a lot of home improvement projects, so I shop at Lowe's a lot, and it just made sense to get this card. I get 5% off most purchases at Lowe's if I use this card, so that comes in very handy. Also, this card periodically has a special where I pay no interest for 6 months on a single purchase, so if I need to buy a major appliance this really helps out. The APR is a bit high - I think its nearly 25%, so I try not to leave a balance on the card. I would definitely recommend it for other people who regularly shop at Lowe's, or need to make big purchases from Lowe's. — WalletHub.com”
Is the Lowe’s Card Right for You?
If the smell of sawdust is your happy place, the Lowe's Advantage Credit Card may just be for you. The 5% discount is a nice, straightforward bonus, particularly if you don't like to bother with finding, clipping, or downloading coupons, and the financing offers can be good for those working on big home repair projects or updating major appliances.
Unfortunately, if your most-used tool is a roll of duct tape, you may not get much use out of the Lowe's card. Instead, pick an all-around credit card that offers awesome rewards or flexible financing so you can spend — and earn — wherever you go.