Store Credit Card
Costo's history traces back to 1983 when the first Costco warehouse opened in Seattle. In 1993, Costco merged with the original warehouse retailer, Price Club, to form PriceCostco, later rebranded as Costco Wholesale Corporation. Costco's over 740 warehouse clubs can be found in more than 10 countries around the world, with over 500 locations in the US alone.
Over the years, Costco has been known to sign exclusive deals with particular credit card companies, and currently only accepts credit cards operated on the Visa credit card network in its stores. Of course, this begs the question, of all the Visa cards you could use for your Costco purchases, is the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi the best option for your Costco purchases?
Better Cards to Use at Costco
While it's fair to say there aren't that many better cards for rewards on Costco purchases than the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card — that says more about Costco's limitations than it does the rewards you earn with the store's branded credit card.
The 2% back on Costco purchases is actually low for a store card, and those rewards can only be used for more Costco purchases, which limits their usefulness. Several non-branded open-loop rewards credit cards can not only give you the same 2% rewards on Costco purchases, but they'll give you those rewards on all purchases. And almost any intro-APR credit card on the market will offer a better interest rate than the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card.
The world of cash back credit cards is loaded with great options for cash back rewards for just about any kind of purchase, with unlimited and bonus category structures to suit nearly all spending styles. Even better, they'll be rewards you can redeem for savings on any type of card purchase.
at Chase'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%. Balance transfer fee is 3% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase - it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- No minimum to redeem for cash back
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
0% Intro APR on Purchases 15 months
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers 15 months
17.24 - 25.99% Variable
Even though the APR charged by the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card isn't as high as other store cards, it isn't particularly low for a credit card in general. And with so many great 0% intro-APR offers on the market, paying interest at any rate is a cost that can be avoided.
at Wells Fargo'ssecure website
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on purchases and balance transfers (fees apply), then a 17.74%-27.24% variable APR; balance transfers made within 120 days qualify for the intro rate and fee
- Get up to $600 protection on your cell phone (subject to $25 deductible) against covered damage or theft when you pay your monthly cellular telephone bill with your Wells Fargo Platinum Visa® Credit Card
- Easy access to your FICO® Credit Score with Wells Fargo Online®
- Zero Liability protection for promptly reported unauthorized transactions
- Convenient tools to help create a budget and manage your spending with My Money Map
- $0 Annual Fee
0% for 18 months
0% for 18 months
If you've ever daydreamed of your next vacation while putting away your latest purchase of bulk-bought supplies, then you should consider using a good travel rewards credit card the next time you stalk the Costco shelves. That's because your big-box buys could be earning you points or miles toward free flights and hotel stays, getting you that much closer to your dream vacation.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
17.99% - 25.24% (Variable)
$0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Unlike most wholesale or warehouse clubs, Costco has strict limitations on the types of credit cards they'll accept. This narrows the playing field quite a bit, leaving the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card in a good position near the front of the pack. But other card options are still out there to earn more flexible rewards on your Costco purchases or avoid interest fees on those bulk-buys.
What Others Say About the Costco Credit Card
For many reviewers, the customer service for the Costco Anywhere Visa® seems to leave a lot to be desired. Others report being unhappy about the limitations to the card's rewards, particularly that you need to remain a Costco member to redeem your earned rewards.
This was the first credit card I applied for, received a $5,000 credit limit too, which was a surprise to me. I like the card, standard rewards system of various percentages, gas, restaurants, Costco, and other purchases from 4% to 1%. The cashback is sent as a certificate yearly that can only be redeemed at Costco, the only real drawback of the card. But if you do a lot of shopping at Costco, the cashback reward can be beneficial. May even pay for the membership fee, which is now at $120/year for the executive, but any level of membership can get you this card. So there is a fee technically, your membership to Costco is the fee to apply for the card, but I am not sure if you keep the card if you cancel that membership. If you end up cancelling there are no rewards available since they are only redeemable at Costco. — CreditKarma.com”
TERRIBLE SERVICE. I used the card to charge a computer. When the computer was ready to ship, Apple put through the charge. Citi turned down the charge, because they said it was too large and they considered me a "new customer." This is in spite of an excellent credit rating, a large line of credit and several charges that were also large although not as large. I also had the Costco card since the time it was introduced with AMEX. When I called, I was told that they would remove the large charge block for 3 days. When I asked what the amount is, so I could call in the future, I was told it was a secret. Nowhere, when they were advertising the card, did they mention that they would turn down "large charges." Perhaps they are trying to avoid the 2 year extension of the warranty. — WalletHub.com”
So if you're already a Costco member and you don't mind having multiple credit cards, obtaining this card to use primarily at the warehouse is a smart idea. As an added bonus, the Costco Citi credit card can also serve as your membership card, meaning you won't have to carry an extra card. The Costco Citi credit card certainly isn't perfect, but it's a card that'll work well for the right person. — CreditDonkey.com”
Is the Costco Card Right for You?
If you're already a loyal Costco member — and plan to stay one for the foreseeable future — then the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card can be a good choice for Costco purchases, as well as gas and/or dining if you don't already have a higher-value card for those purchases (and you don't buy your gas at another big-box retailer).
For those who don't shop at Costco enough to make the limited rewards worthwhile, just about any other unlimited 2% cash back card will give the same return on Costco purchases, and the rewards will be more flexible. Plus, you won't have to worry about losing your rewards if you decide you'd rather shop at BJ's, instead.