credit card advice
Even with fair credit you can still qualify for some great credit cards with ample rewards — and the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard® for fair credit is our expert’s top choice.
When a card has “Rewards” in the name, it better deliver — and the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard® does. There are no limits on the points you can earn and they never expire — the reward potential is infinite!
Excellent Rewards Make Barclaycard Our Expert’s Top Pick
With 2X points on gas, groceries and utilities, and 1X points on all other purchases, the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard® is the perfect credit card for everyday use — all with no annual fee.
at Barclaycard'ssecure website
- 2X points on gas, utility and grocery store (excluding Target® and Walmart®) purchases. 1x points on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Points don't expire as long as account is open, active and in good standing
- Redeem points for deposits to a U.S. checking or savings account, statement credits or gift cards, starting at 1,000 points for $10
- No limit on the number of points you can earn or redeem
- Free online access to FICO® Credit Score lets you keep an eye on your credit and get alerts when we learn that your score has changed
Because of the rather high variable APR, it’s not advised you carry a balance with this card. Pay your bill in full each month to avoid paying high interest fees as well as to help build your credit up quickly.
How to Use Your Barclaycard Towards Good Credit
Fair credit can be a gray area. Based on your credit history (or lack thereof), the credit bureaus have decided that your credit isn’t bad, but it’s not yet good, either. Now’s the time to take control of your credit and work towards that “good” marker, defined by FICO as a score upwards of 700.
Applying for a new credit card can be one of the ways to improve your credit. This helps for a couple of reasons:
- A new line of credit will increase your credit-to-debt ratio; less debt and more available credit is good (30% of your FICO Score).
- Paying your new credit card bill on time every month is one of the best things you can do, as on-time payment is the most heavily weighted factor in a FICO credit score (35% of your FICO Score).
As you can see, those two considerations alone make up over half of your FICO credit score. Responsible use of the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard® can help you achieve a good — and eventually excellent — credit rating.